Monday, October 31, 2011

The Greatest Poem

I have written the greatest poem
ever read
or shall I say
I have spoken the greatest poem
ever heard

The one that I wrote in the shower,
alone, if that needed explaining
I laughed and wept at the words
that drifted from my tongue
and mingled with the steam

The subject was one that
would inspire world peace,
end all dispute
concerning class and race and god

I invented a new pattern
by which other poets will write
a new -ameter
one that magically, spiritually
soothed the soul
and caused enlightenment
in any mind of any ear
near enough to hear

but when I found myself clean
and the hot knob turned
as far as it could go
but the water still cold

I stepped out but did not dry off
as I am accustomed to do
instead I went for my pen
but alas by then
my mind lay as blank
as the paper page...

just know, though you will never know,
that I am, though I will never be,
the greatest poet
of the 21st century

No comments:

Post a Comment