Friday, November 18, 2011

Crystal Night

My father was a butcher
a shop in our hometown

the torches lit the street
as the shadows washed the ground

I do not blame you, Hershel
or the words that Goebbels said
only Hate could break those windows
two-thousand people dead

My father was a butcher
they threw a brick through his shop

The glass collapsed in pieces
shattering my soul
although the wood went up in flames
my heart remained whole

My father held me close
my sister was not found
I swear I saw a crying ghost
as they burned our shul to the ground

If I never find my sister
my eyes may never close
in hopes that they will see her
her eyes in ragged clothes


I bit my lip and cursed
these hateful bitter thieves

My father was a butcher
but never such as these

No comments:

Post a Comment